If you’re considering weight loss surgery, the choices available can often be confusing and overwhelming. That is why you should only make your decision in consultation with your doctor who will take into account factors like, your weight, medical history, lifestyle and physical condition. It will also be important to consult with your insurance company to determine what procedure they will cover.
Whether you’re looking for surgical procedures for weight loss in West Des Moines, IA, or elsewhere, doctors have general guidelines they follow when recommending weight loss surgery. They emphasize, however, that weight loss surgery alone is not enough. It must be done concurrently with lifestyle, eating, and exercise changes. Good candidates for weight loss surgery can include:
- Individuals who have been unsuccessful attempting to lose weight through other means, like by changing their diet, exercise, and lifestyle.
- Individuals who have Body Mass Indexes (BMI) exceeding 40.
- Individuals who are obese, regardless of what their BMI indicates.
- Individuals whose health is being seriously impacted by their weight, i.e.; diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, and more.
- Individuals who knowingly accept the inherent risks involved with weight loss surgery.
There are many different types of surgeries for weight loss, depending on your specific weight, lifestyle, and weight loss goals. These include:
Implanted electric devices are used to disrupt the signals that the nerves send between the stomach and the brain that signal hunger.
Restrictive surgery shrinks the size of the stomach so that it holds less food, triggering weight loss.
Malabsorptive/restrictive surgery shrinks the stomach and bypasses or completely removes part of the digestive tract that absorbs calories.
Adjustable gastric banding is used to squeeze and compartmentalize the stomach into two segments, slowing down the amount of food that can be eaten at once.
Types of Weight Loss Surgeries
To learn more about the specifics and the pros and cons of these surgeries, visit WebMD
- Gastric Bypass Surgery – a malabsorptive/restrictive weight loss surgery*
- Biliopancreatic Diversion – more severe form of gastric bypass surgery
- Sleeve Gastrectomy – a restrictive type weight loss surgery
- Adjustable Gastric Banding – a restrictive type weight loss surgery
- Maestro Rechargeable System – uses an implanted electronic device
*This is the most common type of weight loss surgery performed.
Determining the Best Weight Loss Surgery for You
When evaluating which surgical procedures for weight loss in West Des Moines, IA, or elsewhere, will provide the best results for you, it’s very important that you consult with a doctor who specializes in weight loss surgery. Which surgeries are recommended for you will depend on your weight, medical history, lifestyle, goals, and whether you’ve had unsuccessful weight surgery before. When you do decide on your surgery, be sure and research your surgeon thoroughly to ensure they have the appropriate experience and expertise.