Dental hygiene is extremely important, and you might notice that you could do with some help from the dentist in this area. There may be nothing structurally wrong with the teeth, but this does not mean that you should not check yourself in for an appointment.
There are several things that a dentist can do in order to improve the hygiene of your mouth without having to do any complicated procedures.
- Plaque is a build-up of bacteria on your teeth, which can cause problems if it is left untreated. The signs of plaque are if your teeth have become more yellow than usual.
- The plaque can be scraped off the teeth by a hygiene dentist in Nottingham and they will check that both the front and back of the teeth are free of this issue.
Regular brushing and using mouthwash is going to keep this issue at bay.
- Your tongue is important and should not be neglected. You might notice that you have a build-up on your tongue. This is usually the result of bacteria. You do not need to be worried, however, because this substance can be scraped off your tongue by a dentist.
- After the tongue scraping has been performed, you will be advised how you can keep the tongue bacteria at bay.
Many toothbrushes have a scraping element on the back of the head. The dentist will advise that you can use this after you have finished brushing your teeth.
- Your teeth might have become discoloured. This usually happens because of the food and drinks that you have been consuming. Also, nicotine from cigarettes can cause the teeth to become discoloured.
- The dentist will perform a teeth whitening procedure that is not going to take a large amount of time. After the process has been completed, you will be left with perfectly white teeth.
The dentist will advise you to avoid activities such as smoking which could cause the teeth to become discoloured again.
- Many people do not floss between their teeth on a regular basis because they think a toothbrush can do this easily. However, not flossing can cause plaque to build up which cannot be easily reached by a toothbrush.
- The dentist will apply some floss to the gaps in between your teeth, which is going to get rid of the plaque. Your mouth is going to feel fresher as a result of this work.
The dentist will advise you that you should floss after you have brushed in order to get rid of any debris that has become stuck between your teeth.
There are many different ways in which a dentist can improve the hygiene of your mouth. Your teeth, tongue and gums will be taken care of and then you will be advised about the different ways in which this hygiene can be maintained when you are at home.